- New Electronic Reverse: Available on our Automatic DCT and Electric Shift Program (ESP) models, this single lever is a big improvement when it comes to convenience and ease of operation. It's especially useful when you have to shift from forward to reverse repeatedly, like when you're plowing snow.
- New Front and Rear Cargo Racks: The Rancher's racks feature strong, steel construction, but now they include a larger flat area. Better yet, they're designed to integrate with our new Honda Pro-Connect™ system. You can quickly attach and detach accessories like our cargo boxes, without tools, for added flexibility and convenience.
- New 1.9-liter Front Utility Box: The perfect size for small items you want to access quickly—like a cell phone, GPS, or a spare pair of gloves.
- Wider Front Driveshaft Guards: Designed to add even more coverage to the Rancher's front axles and outboard CV joints, the new guards are another example of how Honda engineers strive to constantly keep improving one of the best ATVs on the planet.
- Available Electric Power Steering (EPS): Both speed- and torque-sensitive, Honda's Electric Power Steering (on Rancher EPS models) excels at reducing steering effort and kickback through the handlebar. It's a big help when riding in ruts, over rocks or on long sidehills. A specially engineered mounting system for the EPS unit increases strength and rigidity.
- Automatic DCT: The Rancher's Honda Automatic DCT transmission offers strong internals, fast shifts, excellent control, true compression-braking capability, and an automatic program that upshifts and downshifts while you concentrate on riding. It's one of the best available choices you can make.
- Independent Rear Suspension: The Rancher Automatic DCT with Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) has over 8 inches of travel and 9 inches of clearance. That returns two big benefits: first, it helps ensure constant tire contact with the ground for superior traction; second, it gives you a -smooth ride over rough terrain, so you don't get beat up on the trail.
- Available Electric Shift Program: The convenience of push-button shifting with the rugged design of a conventional ATV transmission—that's what you get with Honda's exclusive Electric Shift Program (ESP). Just push one button to upshift and one button to downshift. It's a big plus when you're wearing heavy work boots or overshoes, or riding in mud or snow. An added benefit: you get genuine compression braking for better speed control when operating in steep terrain.
- Programmed Fuel Injection: Being able to count on crisp performance and starting under any conditions is a must for anyone who depends on their ATV. Thanks to Honda Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)—featuring a 34mm throttle body, 12-hole injector, and an oxygen sensor that allows the fuel mapping to instantaneously adjust to any riding condition—the Rancher not only ensures trouble-free operation in the cold and at varying altitudes, it reduces emissions and enhances fuel efficiency.
- TraxLok® Selectable 2WD/4WD: Our rock-solid system lets you choose either 2WD or 4WD instantly, giving you the freedom to choose between lighter steering (in 2WD) and maximizing available traction (in 4WD) when you need it most.
- Semi-Dry-Sump Engine Design: Compact and lighter-weight, the Rancher's overhead-valve, semi-dry-sump design creates an engine that's shorter from top to bottom. That returns two big benefits: it enhances handling by lowering the engine's center of gravity, and it also allows for better ground clearance.
- Shaft Drive: Clean, efficient, proven, low-maintenance. Shaft drive is the perfect choice for a machine like this, and for riders who pile on the miles. You never have to worry about lubrication or adjustment out on the trail. And an added plus: it helps keep your ATV cleaner, too.
- Longitudinal Engine Layout: By orienting the crankshaft front to back in the chassis in our ATV and side-by-side engines, we route the flow of power straight to the wheels without any unnecessary right-angle detours, reducing powertrain friction and putting more grunt to the ground.
- Swingarm Rear Suspension: On select Rancher models, the rear swingarm incorporates an enclosed, solid-axle design for strength and rigidity. When you need to tow a heavy load, the swingarm eliminates rear suspension squat as the load is placed on the axle itself, not on the rear shock.
- A Comfortable Seat: A plush seat and open rider triangle (bar/seat/pegs) teams up with the suspension to really treat you right. Superior ergonomics have always been a Honda priority, and the Rancher is no exception. With thick, durable foam, it's exceptionally comfortable.
- Honda Phantom Camo®: A favorite option for many riders, our exclusive Honda Phantom Camo® is a treatment that helps your ATV blend in to a wide range of environments.
- In-Tank Fuel Pump: The Rancher incorporates an in-tank fuel pump for cooler pump operation, and long pump life.
- Digital Instruments: Easy to read and full of the information you want. In addition to the standard gear position indicator, speedometer, odometer, trip meter, and hour meter—you get readouts for fuel level, clock, coolant temperature, speed and Honda's “maintenance minder" system (to help remind you when it's time to have your ATV serviced). Comes with all Ranchers except the base model.
- Disc Brakes (Rancher IRS Models): Rancher IRS models offer disc brakes all around for excellent braking performance.
- Engine Type: 420cc liquid-cooled fuel-injected OHV wet-sump longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 86.5mm x 71.5mm
- Induction: PGM-FI
- Ignition: Full-transistorized type with electronic system
- Starter: Electric with optional auxiliary recoil
- Compression Ratio: 9.9:1
- Clutch: Automatic
- Transmission: Five-speed with reverse
- Driveline: Direct front and rear driveshafts with TraxLok® and torque-sensitive front differential
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone; 6.69 inches of travel
- Rear Suspension: Swingarm with single shock; 6.69 inches of travel
- Front Brake: 190mm Dual hydraulic disc
- Rear Brake: 160mm Sealed mechanical drum
- Front Tire: 24 x 8-12
- Rear Tire: 24 x 10-11
- Length: 82.8 inches
- Width: 47.4 inches
- Height: 46.2 inches
- Wheelbase: 50.0 inches
- Seat Height: 33.7 inches
- Ground Clearance: 7.2 inches
- Curb Weight: 676 pounds (includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel—ready to ride)
- Fuel Capacity: 3.9 gallons, including 1.3-gallon reserve
- Turning Radius: 9.2 feet
- Model ID: TRX420FA2
- Emissions: Meets current EPA and CARB (California) off-road emissions standards.
- Available Colors: Red, Active Yellow
- Note: No operator under age 16. Honda recommends that all ATV riders take a training course and read their owners manual thoroughly.
Factory Warranty Information
- One Year: Transferable limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan